Whether you are the host of a podcast or video, or you are the guest, there are steps you can (and should) take to be prepared to be live on the air. As both guests and hosts ourselves, we share tips and real-life accounts of both good and bad situations.
- Prepare questions or talking points ahead of time so you can give your guest reference points, but make sure you keep it casual, too. You may not get to all of the questions, but it serves as a guideline, particularly if there are lulls in the conversation.
- It is hard to turn people down as guests, especially when you’re starting out, but keep in mind that you want quality, engaging guests.
- Be prepared to fill the gaps, but understand you can edit things out if it’s a recorded interview.
- Live events are a bit different, so we recommend hopping on a video call prior to the live event to get the awkwardness out ahead of time.
- EDIT, EDIT, EDIT – recorded videos and podcasts, edit the awkwardness out! Edit out the lags in conversation, the “ummm”, etc.
As the INTERVIEWEE:
- Listen to whomever you are going to be working with and get comfortable with their style.
- This is a marketing opportunity and if you don’t prepare ahead of time, you are not serving your business.
- If you have agreed to talk about a topic, you should be able to talk about that topic without a list of questions or notes.
- If you’re new to public speaking, record yourself speaking and listen back to it. You say things you don’t notice until you hear yourself speak.
- Turn your notifications off on your computer and your phone, close your tabs, etc. Alleviate distractions!
Bonus coaching & sales tip:
If there is a pause in the coaching conversation, let them have their pause and figure things out themselves.
If you’re on a sales call, make your pitch then be quiet. The first one who speaks loses – if you speak, you’re justifying your price or product. If they speak, they’re buying from you.
Get updates on new episodes, upcoming Blog Fuel Intensives, and valuable monthly newsletters from Erin & Kirsten!