Erin got her start online with an online shop on Etsy, and her shop quickly took off. In this week’s episode, she talks about things you should know before opening your online shop to the world. We talk about everything from taxes to shipping to maintaining a consistent brand and handling customer service requests. We’re open for business!
HOW TO SET UP YOUR ONLINE SHOP
- This week’s news stories:
- With the advent of the internet, it is now possible for pretty much anyone to be in business with an online store. However, there are certain things you can do to ensure success.
- Before setting up a shop online, you should start by defining your product niche. Don’t try to sell ALL THE THINGS. Know what you’re good at so you don’t look like an online flea market.
- If you rely on Etsy to do your marketing for you, you’ll get lost in the noise. Etsy follows SEO but also a relevance algorithm, so it’s important to keep your shop updated.
- Don’t take a photo with your cell phone and put a product photo in a shop that’s not set up yet.
- Set up your brand identity – your shop banner, logo, about section, etc.
- Make sure you take the time to cover yourself by creating your shop policies that dictate shipping, return policy, custom orders, etc.
- Use social media to build a buzz around your shop, and build anticipation for new products. Be sure you’re sharing a new photo each time, though, not the same one product photo on repeat. Creative Carmella is the perfect example of someone who does this well.
- Know who your target audience is so you can market effectively and price accordingly. Know your worth, but also be willing to be flexible.
- Packaging is important, because you need to create an experience for the buyer. Add a hand-written thank you note.
- PRO TIP: Do not use fine glitter in your packaging. It just pisses off your buyer.
- With all the platforms – Etsy, Storenvy, Shopify, etc. – no one platform is better than the other. You will need to market regardless. Take into consideration the fees to host your products on each platform.
- IMPORTANT: If you are going to host your shop on your own site, purchase an SSL certification so you protect your buyer’s information.
- Erin’s Creative Abundance course
- The Skimm: bite-sized versions of the news
- Scott Stratten’s full Unmarketing keynote (and hilarious definition of “millennials”)
Get updates on new episodes, upcoming Blog Fuel Intensives, and valuable monthly newsletters from Erin & Kirsten!