We’ve been running our online business for a few years, and have learned a lot. Having an online business can be both incredibly rewarding and extremely difficult all at the same time. If you’re building a business, or deep into running your business, this is for you. We share hard truths about what it really looks like to run an online business.
THE UGLY SIDE OF ONLINE BUSINESS
- Kirsten’s News: Google Hangouts get fancy new features
- Erin’s News: Adidas hires social media stars to market to women
- Personally, I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about your income publicly. If you choose to do so, just understand that you are setting yourself up for negativity from those who are jealous of your accomplishments.
- There is so much negativity online. Too many people hide behind their computer screens and troll other people.
- At some point, you’ll run into a negative, hateful person online, but try not to feed into it, and try to be the bigger person.
- Be wary of people who try to sell their success to you for your business.
- Copycats exist. People try to duplicate what you’ve done, whether it’s an idea, a product, a blog post, etc.
- Fickle friendships exist in the online world. People befriend you in an effort to gain something from the relationship, and once they get what they want, they disappear.
- Limit your influences and be true to your own voice in order to avoid being accused of copying other people’s content.
- Running an online business requires you to work random business hours and a lot of hours. It’s not what you might see online where you have tons of free time and work short work days.
- TAXES SUCK. The financial side of running a business is so incredibly stressful, and paying taxes is part of it. It’s just not fun. Period.
- Wasting money sucks, too. We waste money on online tools that we tried but didn’t work, courses or books we didn’t use, etc.
- Running an online business can be isolating, which makes it really important to develop relationships that will keep it healthy.
Get updates on new episodes, upcoming Blog Fuel Intensives, and valuable monthly newsletters from Erin & Kirsten!